Kelvin, a paraplegic from Singapore, has been driving for 16 years and drives everyday as his main form of transport. He also enjoys the higher ride of an SUV, even though many wheelchair-users would opt for a car lower to the ground.
There are many different ways of getting in and out of a car, but this is Kelvin’s way.
Steps for getting in the SUV:
- Step 1: Switch on engine while still outside the car.
- Step 2: Lift legs into the car.
- Step 3: Hold the handle at the top of the door frame to pull yourself closer to the edge of your wheelchair.
- Step 4: Put left hand on the driver’s seat and move right hand to the top of the door frame to slide into the driver’s seat.
- Step 5: Remove the wheelchair cushion and put it in the passenger seat.
- Step 6: Take off one wheel and put it in the passenger seat.
- Step 7: Hook the back handle of wheelchair onto the car door and take off the other wheel and put it in the passenger seat.
- Step 8: Fold up the chair frame and put it in the passenger’s seat and off you go!
Steps for getting out of the SUV:
- Step 1: Take out the wheelchair frame and put it outside the car, hooked on the door.
- Step 2: Pop a wheel on one side, then turn the chair around.
- Step 3: Pop in the other wheel and put the cushion back on.
- Step 4: Gets one leg out of the car, the put right hand on wheelchair to transfer onto the chair.
- Step 5: Adjust yourself into your chair, switch off engine, and off you go!
Share these easy steps with someone who would like the independence of getting in and out of their car.